On Thursday night I posted the Top 10 Quotes of Day 1 from PuppetConf 2013. On Friday there were more than 10 classics before we hit our first break. Below is a list of some of my favorites from Day 2.
20. CTO, Chief Trolling Officer
19. Continuous delivery is a competitive advantage
18. Failures are still valid data
17. Solve causes not symptoms
16. The costs of retiring technology is way more than introducing it
15. People who carry the pager tend to make systems better
14. It is impossible to exceed expectations in operations
13. We tend to get wrapped up in technology for technology’s sake
12. Wiki, where documentation goes to die
11. We want to reduce the ‘bus factor’; you know, the problem of when one person gets hit by bus
10. Creating a new silo to solve a silo problem is an ironic way to solve the problem
9. You can’t hire culture change
8. Are you a DevOps? Of course not, are you an agile?
7. Don’t look at your infrastructure as one big problem; think of it as many small problems and tackle them one at a time
6. It’s very tempting to try to force a tool to do all the things. Better is to find the right tool for the job
5. Everything is an Effing DNS problem
4. Don’t name your servers after women, that doesn’t scale
3. Improving anything that isn’t your biggest bottleneck is a waste of time
2. When having trouble scaling MCollective we did what any good dev team does, we blamed someone else
1. A software project is not done until your last end user dies
Thanks to PuppetLabs for hosting a great conference. Every speaker I saw was fantastic. There was no marketing BS, just real world problems and solutions being discussed. See you all next year!